Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 214

Thread: Total cost estimate.....

  1. #171
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Total cost estimate.....

    I actually doubt that it would be voted down.

    Anytime its mentioned, you have a vocal group, but have you not noticed that it tends to be the same group?

    I think, and maybe I'm wrong, when you start putting it down to money, particularly if the increases are sizeable, more people pay attention.

    If there is a plan that is sound, which to most people who don't see consolidation as 'the devil' is building 3 new schools, then I think you could probably get the majority for it. That means not making the Dawgs become Vikings or anything like that, its creating 3 new identities.

    Now if I read right, 75-80% of the plans was viewed as structural ideas. If you take 75-80% of the money, shouldn't you be able to build 3 schools?

    If people realize that they aren't throwing money into something that they are going to have to turn right back around and throw more in very shortly, then there will be more people in favor.

    Obviously you're going to have your people who swear that its the devil, and swear about small schools being better(even though that if they go the 3 schools, none of the schools would even approach being a large school, most would be close to the level they were 25-30 years ago). You're going to have the people who think that a tv class is the same as an actual classroom environment. One of the most vocal people against consolidation on here, in their attempts to argue, provided one of the best examples. Talking about Pound being so hot they had to open windows in the winter. Thats because there is no way to regulate the heat really, its either an all or nothing. They mentioning opening windows, but several buildings have windows that can't open. They talk about how a few rooms have window air conditioners, ignoring that the reason those classrooms have them is due to the computer equipment that requires the cooling, and the fact that only a few can handle the air conditoners (otherwise, why would the other rooms not have them?)

    Also, I find myself curious. I wonder what school system that was attended in Florida (that was a new school), that didn't have air conditioning. Please enlighten us to that.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  2. #172
    Inactive Member aphrodite4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2006
    Posts
    537
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Total cost estimate.....

    I have had several classes via televion in the fiber optic room, and I do not see any real significant difference between that and being all together physically in a classroom. We were able to talk to students at other schools and the teacher was there during the class if we needed to ask questions. There is a difference between an interactive type tv class (such as fiber optics) and a class where the student just has to watch (like the VSEN programs broadcast from the tech school).

    As for the heat, once a window or two was opened, the temperature was quite comfortable. As for windows not opening, yes those need to be fixed. And all the class rooms have computer equipment, so tell me why should the office have air conditioning when the library has more computers and no air conditioning?

    As for my schools attended in Florida, I was a student at Morningside Academy Upper School in Port Saint Lucie. We had a main building, 2 smaller buildings and 5 or 6 "portable" classrooms. The air conditioning system in 3 of the portable class rooms and the 2 smaller buildings did not work.
    RE-ELECT MARK HUTCHINSON SB DISTRICT 1.
    DONALD DUCK FOR SB IN DISTRICT 2 & 3. [ALL CANDIDATES ARE WORTHLESS]
    RE-ELECT KYLE FLETCHER SB DISTRICT 4
    [img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n261/aphrodite4evermore/wildcat.jpg[/img]

  3. #173
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Total cost estimate.....

    Sorry that you don't realize the difference in a fiber optic class and a regular class. Maybe if you ever attend school past MECC, maybe you will one day. Then again, with your academic issues, maybe to you, there was no difference. Goofing off if its a regular class or a fiber optic class.

    A window was opened, it was comfortable, of course it was. Of course earlier, you mentioned it being so hot there was water breaks and such, so which was it, comfortable or necessary to disrupt class for breaks due to the lack of comfort? As for the use of air conditioners, gee wonder why an office would have one when the library doesn't? Oh wait maybe its because the people in charge are in one, not the other?

    Now then, on to the school. Which was it, that the air conditioning didn't work or that the top notch school didn't have them? Find it odd that a top notch school had portable classroms as well.

    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  4. #174
    Inactive Member aphrodite4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2006
    Posts
    537
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Total cost estimate.....

    I do not have academic issues, I was an A/B student all through high school, the reason I lost my financial aid is because I was not attending my classes, most of them I missed due to work. When I did attend and did the work I got good marks on all of it.

    The water breaks were in the spring, window being open in the winter has nothing to do with the water breaks or the heat in the spring. The fact that the schools heating system was able to get the school hot during the winter is a good thing, not a bad thing. Its good to know that the heating system will keep the school warm even if it gets far below the normal temperature here.

    As for Morningside, whenever you've paid a visit there, come back and tell me what you've found. Until then, I think I know a little more about it than you do because I was there.
    RE-ELECT MARK HUTCHINSON SB DISTRICT 1.
    DONALD DUCK FOR SB IN DISTRICT 2 & 3. [ALL CANDIDATES ARE WORTHLESS]
    RE-ELECT KYLE FLETCHER SB DISTRICT 4
    [img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n261/aphrodite4evermore/wildcat.jpg[/img]

  5. #175
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Total cost estimate.....

    Oh no need to visit there. They have this amazing thing called email, you should check it out sometime.

    Yes, not attenting classes due to work. As I think elp6n showed, you work ethic has always superceded everything.

    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  6. #176
    Inactive Member aphrodite4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2006
    Posts
    537
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Total cost estimate.....

    [ QUOTE ]
    when I do work I work hard. I pull extra shifts, switch with anyone when they need to come in when someone else calls in sick. Almost every paycheck I do draw has overtime on it, so you can shove it lady! And who in their right mind doesnt like to stay home when they can?

    [/ QUOTE ] I guess you missed this post when talking about my work ethic rocketer...
    RE-ELECT MARK HUTCHINSON SB DISTRICT 1.
    DONALD DUCK FOR SB IN DISTRICT 2 & 3. [ALL CANDIDATES ARE WORTHLESS]
    RE-ELECT KYLE FLETCHER SB DISTRICT 4
    [img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n261/aphrodite4evermore/wildcat.jpg[/img]

  7. #177
    Inactive Member swvacsas's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2006
    Posts
    71
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Total cost estimate.....

    I think you would be quite surprised to see a good percentage of what support there is for consolidation evaporate when you see the cost of building three new high schools. The construction of three schools would be fiscally through the roof.
    The only way consolidation can be achieved in any fiscally prudent manner is to build one high school and that at such a time as the enrollment has drastically fallen below its present levels- say if the enrollment of the county high schools would fall below 1,000. The reality is that the full renovation program is unacceptable to the vast majority of taxpayers- but so is the cost of three new schools. Neither plan will fly because of cost. Unless the majority of the people in each of the school service areas support it no plan will be successful. The opposition to consolidation in Pound, Appalachia and St. Paul is overwhelming and I believe is likely to grow rather than diminish. Consolidation is a dead duck unless you build three high schools- for there is precious little support for a single high school option in Coeburn and Big Stone- I have talked to a great many people from those localities and I simply see very little desire for a single school. The only thing that will fly politically is a sensible- not grandiose renovation plan. .

  8. #178
    Inactive Member swvacsas's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2006
    Posts
    71
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Total cost estimate.....

    One more point on severance taxes- in fiscal year 2005-2006 the severance tax is shown in Wise County as 5,000,000.00- the property tax is 7,500,000.00. Can anyone complain that Pound and Appalachia are not more than paying for their schools? Should revenues from these communities go to support the loss of their schools- against the wishes of those communities? Does Wise deserve a share of the severance tax? Does anybody else? A growing number of people in Pound and Appalachia are seeing that the county is ripping them off. If these communities were getting full control of their tax revenue a debate on consolidation would be nonexistent. Perhaps some of the consolidation supporters can enlighten us as to the moral right of people outside these communities to close these schools and still take this money.

  9. #179
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Total cost estimate.....

    The "moral right" the county has to take the money is that both Pound and Appy are within the county.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  10. #180
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Total cost estimate.....

    It is my understanding that the state keeps most of the coal severance tax money and the money that the area gets is currently used for economic development (Not schools)

    New new schools would cost between $25 Millions and $30 Million each (That is around what other states are currently paying for avg sized schools) so 3 new schools would be between $75 and $90 Million Which would cause almost as big a tax hike as the 6 school Renovation so IMHO you will see 3 schools renovated and consolidation into them (I do not like that anymore than you do but IMHO that is what will happen)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •